bc.multi-sampler – a new Max4Live sampler instrument

bc.multi-sampler is a quad buffer polyphonic sampler instrument. It’s been a large part of my own electro-acoustic arsenal in MaxMSP for a few years now, and I’ve finally gotten around to porting it to Max4Live for others to make use of. Very keen to see what others will make of it, and hopefully use it for!

You can download the device over at my site. Here are some of the features of the device:

– enables the simultaneous playback of four sample buffers of arbitrary length, with up to 16 voice polyphony
– drag and drop samples from the live browser
– an X/Y pad provides control over the overall mix between the four loaded samples
– automated sample start position provides a level of unpredictability and variety to sample playback
– independent loop and pitch bend for each sample
– independent filtered delay lines for each sample
– option to normalise files on import
Advertisements

Guerrilla Impulse Response Recording

I’ve been interested in Impulse Responses and the possibilities of convolution reverb of late, mainly spurred on by a few great internet finds. Namely this: 

and this

So, I thought I’d give it a go, despite my simple (and far from optimal) gear. So I did some recording in my home apartment, aided by the Apple Impulse Response Utility (that ships with Apple’s Logic), and got IR’s for my Kitchen/Dining, Hallway ands Bathroom, and had lots of fun doing it!

Below are some examples of my IR’s in action with a short beat programmed in Ultrabeat.

Info: 10s Sine Sweep (20Hz – 20Khz) from a single Yamaha HS50m monitor, recorded in stereo (x/y) with a pair of AKG C1000s’

Dry

Kitchen/Dining

Hallway

Bathroom

‘Critical Mass’ – coming soon

It has been a little while since I last posted on here, so I thought I’d explain what I’ve been up to of late. Over the last week I’ve been putting the final touches on an electroacoustic piece I’ve been working on entitled ‘Critical Mass’. I’m pretty excited as today I finished and bounced down the final version of the eleven minute work – finally!!

Stay tuned as I will be posting a link to an mp3 version of the piece in the coming days – along with a program note and maybe some more detailed information about it.

Until then…

short sampler sequence – explanation coming soon :)

Hi – recorded this short sequence today using a few of the tools I’ve been building in Max. You’ll find a short description below – I’ll explain a little bit more about each of the components seen (or not seen) in the video and how they work a little later – in the meantime check out the video below

Some info about the video:
GPS data controlling the mix between stereo outputs of a 4 buffer polyphonic sampler;
Sampled iphone accelerometer data controlling movement through the four sound files;
some other algorithms (offscreen) controlling and triggering other aspects of the sampler and effects processing…

grainstream

grainstream
This is the first of what will end up being a series of posts about some of the tools I’ve been building in MaxMSP. They’re fairly wide-ranging patches – some make sound, some control others that make sound, some analyse and others are purely for storing data. I’ll try to post either screenshots, videos or audio where appropriate to accompany each example. When my programming is a little cleaner and more foolproof I’ll consider putting some of these up for download, however my main purpose in blogging about these patches is to hopefully give some kind of detail to the overall context of what I’m working towards.

One of the tools I’ve been using a lot recently is an audio file granulator I built a few months ago – although it’s been going under constant modification ever since – that I call ‘grainstream’. The fundamental design of the patch will be familiar to many MaxMSP users, as it’s based on a granular synthesiser found in one of the many MaxMSP examples called ‘granularized’. My reason for modelling my patch on this example was simply to learn better and more efficient ways of programming – and although I had already built another patch along similar lines about 6 months before, I found I learned a great deal from studying some already existing tools that I felt were well designed. So I gave it a crack, and so far I’m happy with the results. During the learning process I thought of features I wanted to add, modify, and change completely – so that what I use currently has taken on a life of its own.

The short video below hopefully demonstrates the kind of sounds, sequences and textures achievable with the patch…

Some of the parameters I’m controlling with the mouse, whist the others are mapped to a midi-controller. The envelopes at the top of the patch allow me to create sequences of parameter changes simultaneously, which are triggered when the envelope start/stop button is pressed.

Comments welcome!